Saturday 3 April 2010

Easter under the Southern Cross


I took part in the Holy Week ceremonies at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney for the second time. Cardinal Pell celebrated the Liturgies which were beautiful. The Cathedral in Sydney is quite simply one of the finest Gothic Cathedrals that I know, and the Liturgy is celebrated so wonderfully here that I would describe it as one of the great centres of Christendom today. I attach photos here of the sanctuary taken just after the Vigil and first Mass of Easter which has just been celebrated. The beauty of the altar and sanctuary is a tribute to the Sacristan of the Cathedral.


While concelebrating the Mass I reflected on how great yet mysterious is the Providence of God which has brought me to the other side of the world and inserted me into the Church in Sydney, and how warmly I have been welcomed here. The celebration of the Paschal Mystery, these past days, with the Cardinal and many of his priests has been a tremendous experience and grace for me. A very happy Easter to you all.



No comments: